01-26-2014, 04:02 PM
jurassic Wrote:I asked this question also, but from what I was told by Frank at Maxim it's not quite that simple. The length of the locking lugs need to be taken into account. I'm sure someone on here can explain it better than I can.
This is correct. I measured my bolts last night also. The bolt that came with my satern barrel 3 years ago measures .135" if measured from between the locking lugs and .139" if measured from the top of the lugs. The bolt that came with the 16" Stoner barrel measures .135" from anywhere on the bolt face. Not arguing anything here just giving numbers. Im not pointing fingers at anyone. I love Satern barrels, I have one grendel and one Blkout from Satern and both are shooters! I do wonder why my Satern barrel has a longer throat than the 16" Stoner that came from the same place and reamed by the same reamer dimensions. I can see if one is polished and laped and one is not, thats fine just asking. Hopefully Satern will come back with a answer that will explain it all.
All this being said, I did notice while checking the OAL on the bullets where they first meet resistance or just touch I believe is not the lands. I believe it is touch in the free bore or the compound angle of the throat. When I first felt them touch, I could push the bullet on in quiet a bit before it would stop completely. That in my satern barrel and the Stoner also.
