01-23-2014, 08:15 PM
I have looked closely at the Grendel throat configuration on several occasions. I have also followed the controversies swirling around it and do have a feel why some believe the Grendel neck should be tighter for accuracy purposes. The taper Woohoo observes is part of why the .300" chamber neck works and allows Grendel shooters to get the superb accuracy we see.
I believe that part of the the reason some reamer makers are at odds with the Grendel spec is that they have not yet taken the time to understand this subtlety and try tweak their reamer to their vision of the "right way" to do things. I will add that the tweaking is reasonable when one is dealing with wildcat cartridges because that is what wildcats are about.
Messing with an industry standard, however, can lead to disaster for all concerned.
This thread is an example.
On the bright side, it appears that Satern is taking a closer look at their chambers and it will be some time before their trouble shoot exercise is completed. We may have reached the point where everyone should take a break, read the pertinent chapters in the handbook, do more research in other sources and do their own analyses. If at that point, we still seem to have issues, let's start a fresh thread!
I believe that part of the the reason some reamer makers are at odds with the Grendel spec is that they have not yet taken the time to understand this subtlety and try tweak their reamer to their vision of the "right way" to do things. I will add that the tweaking is reasonable when one is dealing with wildcat cartridges because that is what wildcats are about.
Messing with an industry standard, however, can lead to disaster for all concerned.
This thread is an example.
On the bright side, it appears that Satern is taking a closer look at their chambers and it will be some time before their trouble shoot exercise is completed. We may have reached the point where everyone should take a break, read the pertinent chapters in the handbook, do more research in other sources and do their own analyses. If at that point, we still seem to have issues, let's start a fresh thread!
