01-05-2014, 10:39 PM
explorecaves Wrote:There is a reason why pits have the nickname Nanny Dog. Also, there is an old adage about dogs and intruders… Don't rely on them as protection as they are more likely to show the intruders where the valuables are than to prevent the intrusion.
Pretty generalized assessment. My dawg raises Caine whenever anyone hits the driveway or walks past the house, whether it knows them or not. Interestingly, I can tell from the tone of the barking if they are welcome guests or UPS, etc. Each pooch has its own temperament, and I understand why you cannot rely on just any dog for protection. I've had some that were more of a slipping hazard from peeing the floor, than anything to do with their teeth. Long and short of it is if you want a dog the eats intruders, it's gotta be trained, as bwaites says.

