01-01-2014, 05:13 PM
Update - Loaded up some ammo at 2.285 COAL. This put me at about 0.020" jump-to-lands. Unfortunately, this did not improve my patterns much. I also worked up 5 loads shooting a 120 gr Nosler BT and CFE 223 with an average velocity of 2401 fps. Loads ranged from 30.0gr of powder to 32.0gr. All loads shot similar groups (around 2" at 100 yds) with velocities ranging from 2401 fps to 2565 fps. I bought my upper assembly from SSK. It is a production grade 20" barrel with a 1:8 twist. I am beginning to think that I am doing the best I can with this barrel. I have a 223 with a 20" Shilen match grade barrel that I consistently shoot groups less that 1 inch.
What do you all think? Is it the barrel or do I need to experiment with other powders and bullets?
What do you all think? Is it the barrel or do I need to experiment with other powders and bullets?

