10-22-2013, 08:06 PM
Gents,
I usually Hate to revive a old Thread, but I think what follows is deserving.
Fast forward to today The mentioned Grendel was shelfed UNTIL I was discussing firearms with a friend, The Rifle was noticed in the back of the safe seperated from everything else , hence a conversation of the woes. So he looks down the bore and sees what I have attempted to discribe to others (it was on the Old Forum site actually). Long Story short being the owner of MBT Tooling he chucks the barrel in the lathe indicating her in, procedes to lops her down to 22" places a recessed 11 degree target crown in. Looking down the bore there is still a slight a anomaliy in the last few inches of bore we both figured we would have to lop off more, but proof is in firing and we just wanted to see left her ar 22". Assembled her, grabbed some already assembled loads (123 Amax/264 LBC Brass/CCI450/IMR8208XBR @ 28.0gr) having removed the sights for other reasons, we opted to bore sight a Comp M4 Aimpoint quickly for a paper shot (2 MOA reticle dot). Off to the range I go, results 100 yards, 20 rounds, measurements outside to outside ** including ALL called FLYERS** 2.210" via calipers. I plan on placing a scope on here to see if the reddot 2 MOA worked against a tighter group, if so great it shoot better.
While this is good news I suspect that what Gene (LR1955) predicts will hold true she will fade. So armed with such knowledge, I now have a functioning hog gun when I go boar hunting and a range toy, that if need be lop down to 18" to remove the rest of the anomaliy "IF" it really makes a differance.
I usually Hate to revive a old Thread, but I think what follows is deserving.
Fast forward to today The mentioned Grendel was shelfed UNTIL I was discussing firearms with a friend, The Rifle was noticed in the back of the safe seperated from everything else , hence a conversation of the woes. So he looks down the bore and sees what I have attempted to discribe to others (it was on the Old Forum site actually). Long Story short being the owner of MBT Tooling he chucks the barrel in the lathe indicating her in, procedes to lops her down to 22" places a recessed 11 degree target crown in. Looking down the bore there is still a slight a anomaliy in the last few inches of bore we both figured we would have to lop off more, but proof is in firing and we just wanted to see left her ar 22". Assembled her, grabbed some already assembled loads (123 Amax/264 LBC Brass/CCI450/IMR8208XBR @ 28.0gr) having removed the sights for other reasons, we opted to bore sight a Comp M4 Aimpoint quickly for a paper shot (2 MOA reticle dot). Off to the range I go, results 100 yards, 20 rounds, measurements outside to outside ** including ALL called FLYERS** 2.210" via calipers. I plan on placing a scope on here to see if the reddot 2 MOA worked against a tighter group, if so great it shoot better.
While this is good news I suspect that what Gene (LR1955) predicts will hold true she will fade. So armed with such knowledge, I now have a functioning hog gun when I go boar hunting and a range toy, that if need be lop down to 18" to remove the rest of the anomaliy "IF" it really makes a differance.
