09-22-2013, 12:55 AM
NugginFutz Wrote:XCR
Just my opinion, but I would not suggest using those if there is any chance you can find a gunsmith that could hand lap that barrel, instead. A few years ago, I used the Tubbs bullets on a .243 with unsatisfactory results (eroded the throat out, adding .020 to the free bore). One of the area's leading gun makers and gunsmiths (ScoreHigh) had this to say: "Why in the world would you shoot sand paper bullets through your barrel with no idea of how much erosion you're committing?" He went on to explain how Tubb's bullets treat the entire bore the same, whereas most bores have varying degrees of imperfections along the length. (My eyes glazed over, somewhere around this part.)
Hand lapping is performed in stages, with close scrutiny of the bore as the lapping progresses. The lapping stops when it's no longer needed. The David Tubb's product cannot accomplish this. With the Tubb's Final Finish bullets, you essential send up to 50 bullets through your barrel with no checkpoints.
I suppose that if you have a particularly rough barrel, then there may not be much to risk. As for myself, I like to treat my toys as best as I can afford. If you do decide to proceed with the Tubbs bullets, be sure to thoroughly clean between EVERY shot. These little buggers leave quite a bit of abrasive behind.
Just my .02.
I was about to say wow, cool and you just blew that.... but that's ok. I would rather hear of personal issues rather than finding out after it was to late. I prefer extra precautions and not try something someone else has had problems with. Guess I'll need to read up on this... Thanks
XCR, let us know your outcome if you proceed....
