09-16-2013, 05:29 PM
LRRPF52 Wrote:He's not nit-picking. 2650fps with a 24" barrel and a factory 123gr boat tail bullet is totally normal. Any deviations +/- that of 25fps are either environmental or barrel characteristics. The factory Hornady 123gr load is not what we were concerned with, it was the 120gr TSX loaded to 2820fps. We can shoot 123gr A-MAX all day through 24" guns and get velocities in the mid-2600's. That only confirms that the barrel produces normal velocities that any 24" barrel would produce. If the factory 123gr A-MAX was showing 2730fps or higher, that would be unusually fast.
And this Reasoning for the AR Stoner to be faster, it just cant be the barrel, no possible way. " but if ammo was baking in direct sunlight at ~97ºF, it's not surprising that the last barrel ran the fastest and with the highest ES."
I'm done, I am not here to argue, just responding to his question and reading information. I will take into account his hand-loads and compare it to the Hornady Load Book and don't worry, I will be safe and not experiment with to much powder or the wrong type if anyone is worried about that too...
