09-10-2013, 05:54 AM
kamrr4437 Wrote:bill saturn i thought the owner of Satern was Steve Satern?Actually the owner is Deb Satern, Steven's Wife. I know almost everyone at the company, talked to deb last week.
And not all Satern's are marked with the specs, Mine is a custom 1 off and is only marked with Satern and a serial number on underside and 6.5 Grendel 1-8.75 on top But the Machinist Print I have says 1-8.75 5R Cut Rifling.
I was always told that the reason a 5R barrel is a little "Faster" is because the bullet seals a little better due to the unopposed Lands. (Lands are 180deg from grooves, not half land half groove like in 4 twist barrels) at least thats what it said in my Forensics text book, it said that the reason its superior and used by Marksmen is due to the fact that it seals the bullet without deforming the core like conventional rifling. Or something like that. Will look for my text book if anyone really cares. Was a class in Applied Forensic Ballistics. Basically how to recreate the origin of projectiles from very far away. now I guess they use computer models.
