02-27-2013, 02:40 PM
Just thought I would share this from a post I found on ar15.com as it is subject related
Most AR15 5.56 barrels are swelled at the muzzle, relieving the metal down for a 1/2-28 thread allow the muzzle to open up so short 55gr fMJs come out wobbling. I purchased 6-7 different companies barrels this last summer to compare with inspection pins, most muzzles would allow a .219 pin to go into the muzzle apx 3/4" then stop. Another thing is one barrel manufacturer has crooked chambers, every stainless barrel I have seen from them(6 this year) has a crooked chamber and throat and can easily be seen with a borescope.
BCMs 410 stainless barrels are made by Krieger/Criterion and they are right as are most of the more custom stainless barrels from WOA, Noveske, Compass Lake etc. the CHF barrels I had both had bad crowns, one was to replace the other one that had a bad crown so I assume the whole batch did and they were not inspected.
The Colts I have had over the years are done right, with the extra steps needed to keep the muzzle swell to a minimum. We pay for the extra steps needed to control the muzzle swell.
Most AR15 5.56 barrels are swelled at the muzzle, relieving the metal down for a 1/2-28 thread allow the muzzle to open up so short 55gr fMJs come out wobbling. I purchased 6-7 different companies barrels this last summer to compare with inspection pins, most muzzles would allow a .219 pin to go into the muzzle apx 3/4" then stop. Another thing is one barrel manufacturer has crooked chambers, every stainless barrel I have seen from them(6 this year) has a crooked chamber and throat and can easily be seen with a borescope.
BCMs 410 stainless barrels are made by Krieger/Criterion and they are right as are most of the more custom stainless barrels from WOA, Noveske, Compass Lake etc. the CHF barrels I had both had bad crowns, one was to replace the other one that had a bad crown so I assume the whole batch did and they were not inspected.
The Colts I have had over the years are done right, with the extra steps needed to keep the muzzle swell to a minimum. We pay for the extra steps needed to control the muzzle swell.

