02-24-2013, 06:22 PM
I have built many rifles for multi gun match shooters and have used DPMS, stag arms ,Colt and some others with mysterious birth places. Like all mechanical items quality cost more money but will most shooters need the same high end parts? One rather wealthy shooter purchased a JP custom rifle and had it fail completely at a match and sold it cheap to me. He was convinced it was junk and wouldn't listen to any thing I would say to change his opinion. At the next practice session he watched me shoot it without any failures and begged me to sell it back to him which I did after a lot of teasing. All I did was replaced a defective gas block and adjusted for the ammo type. Sometimes opinions are made without real understanding of the problem. I have had some problems with the detents ends breaking off probably for the reason LRRPF52 has stated , but it was an easy fix.. Receivers, barrels ,and receiver extension tubes are always the most important starting point for my rifle builds. I have seen DPMS, Stag arms rifles run for a long time without any issues what so ever. I view my firearm builds like a vehicle purchase, the longer the vehicle runs with the lowest cost per mile is the winner. High end doesn't always mean the best value. If one is planning for pure combat and the end of the world, then by all means don't skimp on parts and buy the best parts like Colt . DD, or any other proven top end part.

