Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Too little for Elk?
#12
Schwag173 Wrote:I believe everything rj just said and would add another consideration. The big bores can be punishing to do a lot of practicing with. An afternoon of putting a couple hundred rounds of .300 Weatherby or even .30/'06 downrange always makes me sore for a day or two afterward. Nobody gives a second thought to shooting an AR that much; 200 rds is almost nothing. A lighter cartridge, like the Grendel, will allow for much more comfortable practice. That practice, hopefully, will equate to better bullet placement. If a shooter does HIS job, the Grendel will do IT'S job.

Holy crap! Ain't no way I'm going to get behind that volume of shooting through a featherweight rifle in a magnum, '06, or even my .270 Winchester. I can do 40 rounds of .270, then I'm done. After 3 rounds of a featherweight .300 Win Mag, I'm no longer having fun, and I have to really sacrifice my shoulder to focus on a great sight picture.

I did this a few weeks ago at the range, shooting at 200yds with my friend's .300 WM, and my 16" Grendel. I had a hard time registering the shots at 200yds with the .300 WM, but was drilling under and around 2" groups with the Grendel, right where I wanted them. I could literally sit there all day and blast away without any recoil issues. I had the strong conviction that every hunter on that range would have been better served with an AR15 chambered in 6.5 Grendel. Everyone else was having a hard time seeing where they were hitting with their magnums as well at 200yds, and those featherweight barrels were heating up.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Too little for Elk? - by Pancho Villa - 10-27-2012, 01:10 PM
Too little for Elk? - by rasp65 - 10-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Too little for Elk? - by Von Gruff - 10-27-2012, 07:16 PM
Too little for Elk? - by Pancho Villa - 10-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Too little for Elk? - by Variable - 10-27-2012, 08:22 PM
Too little for Elk? - by LRRPF52 - 10-28-2012, 03:12 AM
Too little for Elk? - by BjornF16 - 10-28-2012, 03:27 AM
Too little for Elk? - by Zach987 - 10-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Too little for Elk? - by Von Gruff - 10-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Too little for Elk? - by stokesrj - 10-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Too little for Elk? - by Schwag173 - 10-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Too little for Elk? - by LRRPF52 - 10-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Too little for Elk? - by Schwag173 - 10-29-2012, 07:26 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)