AR won't cycle steel cases
#4
I've owned AR's that ran on steel case as long as you kept the gun hot. I could go for 300 rounds without issue, but if I let the gun cool down a little, it was stuck like Chuck as soon as I started blasting again.

I've seen Bushmasters that both couldn't run on steel case, and others that ate it like candy. All had 4150 CMV Chrome-lined barrels.

Slight variations in the chamber dimensions gun-to-gun can cause this. If you plan to run steel case, you can polish your chamber so that any rough surfaces from the tooling process no longer provide a textured surface for the steel case to purchase aggressively, preventing extraction.

The best surface for this is a Melonited (nitro-carburized) barrel, in my opinion. The surface is so smooth with a 68-70 Rockwell hardness, that steel case runs through it like butter.

I personally avoid steel case in my 5.56 NATO & .223 Wylde chambered AR15's, as I see malf after malf with it in high-volume courses. I do have several Nitro-carburized barrels that I might just run it through, but I have so many piles of 5.56 and .223 brass, I don't have a need to mess with steel right now.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
AR won't cycle steel cases - by michaelmew - 09-18-2012, 12:46 PM
AR won't cycle steel cases - by LRRPF52 - 09-18-2012, 11:01 PM
AR won't cycle steel cases - by rasp65 - 09-20-2012, 12:39 PM
AR won't cycle steel cases - by grin&dull - 09-24-2012, 07:12 PM
AR won't cycle steel cases - by VASCAR2 - 09-25-2012, 04:45 AM
AR won't cycle steel cases - by pinzgauer - 09-27-2012, 08:23 PM
AR won't cycle steel cases - by rcvisket - 09-28-2012, 12:35 AM
AR won't cycle steel cases - by Drifter - 09-18-2012, 01:40 PM
AR won't cycle steel cases - by montana - 09-18-2012, 02:05 PM
AR won't cycle steel cases - by LRRPF52 - 09-18-2012, 03:11 PM
AR won't cycle steel cases - by Brag - 09-18-2012, 04:44 PM
AR won't cycle steel cases - by BluntForceTrauma - 09-18-2012, 10:16 PM
AR won't cycle steel cases - by fanofflyn - 09-25-2012, 12:33 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)