08-07-2012, 07:46 PM
My son built his Grendel about a year ago. Getting about MOA, but can't seem to get it to shoot better.
All of my research led me to the 123 Amax, because we shoot long range (600 yards). I stayed fixated on that bullet because of it's BC...
Even powder experimentation was probably too limited, Varget and 8208. We've done some pretty extensive testing with the 8208, getting best accuracy with 27 grains and about 2350 fps. 28 grains shot very slightly larger groups, but didn't get to chrono them.
The barrel is an ER Shaw (at least, that's what I'm told- AR Stoner was made by them?), 20". I know it's not "match grade", but...(?)
So, I wonder...
Every AR-15 on the internet shoots sub-minute.
Should I expect more than MOA?
Should I try pushing lighter- and lower BC- bullets faster perhaps? Maybe the 123 Amax isn't this barrel's favorite?
8208 seems to be the right powder for this round from everything I've read, but we all know every rifle's different.
I know it's impossible to know when you've wrung out every bit of accuracy, and we all keep chasing the holy grail of loads... have I done a reasonable amount, or do you think I should try some other avenues?
Given the 600 yard range, I really don't think lighter bullets would be advantageous...
All of my research led me to the 123 Amax, because we shoot long range (600 yards). I stayed fixated on that bullet because of it's BC...
Even powder experimentation was probably too limited, Varget and 8208. We've done some pretty extensive testing with the 8208, getting best accuracy with 27 grains and about 2350 fps. 28 grains shot very slightly larger groups, but didn't get to chrono them.
The barrel is an ER Shaw (at least, that's what I'm told- AR Stoner was made by them?), 20". I know it's not "match grade", but...(?)
So, I wonder...
Every AR-15 on the internet shoots sub-minute.
Should I expect more than MOA?
Should I try pushing lighter- and lower BC- bullets faster perhaps? Maybe the 123 Amax isn't this barrel's favorite?
8208 seems to be the right powder for this round from everything I've read, but we all know every rifle's different.
I know it's impossible to know when you've wrung out every bit of accuracy, and we all keep chasing the holy grail of loads... have I done a reasonable amount, or do you think I should try some other avenues?
Given the 600 yard range, I really don't think lighter bullets would be advantageous...
