Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Barrel Life?!?
#6
I have never shot out a 6.5 Grendel barrel but I've shot out a half dozen .223 barrels. There are some rules of thumb that it is simply and equation that relates the life of a barrel to the pounds of powder burnt through it.... but I don't know if that is true or not. I can say with some certainty that a 20" Wylde chambered 1:7.7" Krieger will hold X ring at 600 yards for somewhere between 4,000 and 6,000 rounds. I have one with over 6,000 that will no longer hold X ring at 600 yards but will still shoot .5 MOA at 100 yards.
However cut rifle barrels last longer than button rifle barrels. I have seen several Wilson barrels with 1:7 twist and Wylde chambers go at around 3,000-3,500 rounds.
From every thing I can tell about the Grendel it will last longer than a .223, I've gone up to 7,000 rounds in a cut rifle barrel and it was still holding MOA at 600 yards when I sold it and last I heard, three years later, it still was making the new owner happy.
As far as I know, none of us have shot out a 6.5 Grendel Barrel.
Bob
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Barrel Life?!? - by Michael - 07-16-2012, 05:08 PM
Barrel Life?!? - by JASmith - 07-16-2012, 06:18 PM
Barrel Life?!? - by Michael - 07-16-2012, 09:24 PM
Barrel Life?!? - by JASmith - 07-16-2012, 10:27 PM
Barrel Life?!? - by Von Gruff - 07-16-2012, 10:39 PM
Barrel Life?!? - by stokesrj - 07-17-2012, 01:48 AM
Barrel Life?!? - by sneaky one - 07-17-2012, 02:50 AM
Barrel Life?!? - by Mutt - 07-18-2012, 08:06 AM
Barrel Life?!? - by JASmith - 07-18-2012, 01:30 PM
Barrel Life?!? - by Michael - 07-18-2012, 03:07 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)