Confused about where to zero
#7
michaelmew Wrote:Both you guys suggested zeroing at 100 yards. What is the logic for that? I'm not sure how to phrase this and I probably do not fully understand everything that is happening, but doesn't that put the bullet flight path only crossing POA at 1 point (100 yards); as opposed to a 25 or 50 yard zero, in which case the bullet flight path would cross in 2 places. In my mind 2 places is better than one? Am I wrong?

LR, if I understand you correctly, you are saying to see where I am on paper at 100 yards and calculate to have a zero of 250 yards. So for example, I should shoot +8.16" high at 100 in order to shoot POA=POI at 250 (123gr A Max, 2540fps). Is that correct?

I'm not embarassed to admit that I do not completely understand MOA and Mils and clicks and what not, but I do understand inches very well. Probably has something to do with my occupation.

So, now I am going to crunch some numbers and see where that gets me virtually first. Then, I can shoot and see where that actually gets me. Does anyone have a good chart format they would like to share? I'd like to take from all your experiences as I put mine together.


Thanks,

-mm

MM

In most cases with AR blasters, the bullet has crossed the line of sight on the rising branch of the trajectory somewhere between 30 and 40 yards for a zero somewhere between 250 and 300 yards. So yes, you can use fifty yards but it won't be as accurate as 100 yards, which isn't as accurate as 250 yards. The closer you zero to what ever range you want a zero, the more accurate the zero. If you decide to try and get a long range zero at such a short distance that the bullet hasn't yet crossed your line of sight, you will need an offset on the target or will have to adjust elevation after you have zeroed. They are not accurate zero's. Zero it at 100 and look up the come up between 100 and 250, then put that on your sights. I will bet you that given a starting zero of 100 yards, your AMAX load will need about 3 minutes of elevation to hit (theoretically) point of aim / impact at 250 yards. This means shots that will be about 3 inches high at 100 yards.

If you shoot groups eight inches high at 100 yards (8 minutes), you have somewhere around a 450 yard zero.

LR1955
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Confused about where to zero - by michaelmew - 07-11-2012, 10:56 PM
Confused about where to zero - by ricsmall - 07-11-2012, 11:29 PM
Confused about where to zero - by stokesrj - 07-12-2012, 12:56 AM
Confused about where to zero - by LR1955 - 07-12-2012, 01:00 AM
Confused about where to zero - by michaelmew - 07-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Confused about where to zero - by stokesrj - 07-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Confused about where to zero - by LR1955 - 07-13-2012, 12:16 AM
Confused about where to zero - by michaelmew - 07-13-2012, 05:51 AM
Confused about where to zero - by JASmith - 07-13-2012, 02:10 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)