07-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Bennybone Wrote:I have noticed the brass of the Wolf MPT is very soft, I have dented the shoulder of many rounds by simple hand cycling of rounds, I read yesterday that the brass is so soft that upon reloading the neck area has issues supporting the projectile without crimping, someone guess that the brass would be good for 1 maybe 2 reloading cycles.
I wonder if Hornady and Lapua brass, after 4 -5 reloads, will start to "stick" in 264 chambers once that brass becomes less rigid.
BB
BB:
This is the first I have heard this about the current lots of Wolf MPT. If you are using the first lots that came out about five years ago, maybe.
The reason why the necks aren't holding the bullet is because the Wolf brass is thinner and a standard Grendel sizing die won't size the necks down enough. Thats why most of us recommend using the Redding sizing die that has colletts for different sizes of necks. I imagine the Lee sizing die would size them down too as it has a very small neck diameter that will destroy Lapua brass by overworking the necks.
I get eight or so reloads from the Wolf stuff before the primer pockets open up too much. Never had a cracked neck with the Redding dies.
LR1955
