07-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Billet is a good route to go with if you are using a heavy or long/heavy barrel. The AR receiver is designed to support a very lightweight barrel, that is rarely seen anymore, though regaining popularity.
I think the best route is to go with a billet set of receivers that are mated to each other for a tight fit, or a billet upper tightly mated to a forged lower. I personally will go through 3-7 different receiver sets looking for the type of fit I want for a particular project, whereas most shops who make a quality billet set will send you one good-to-go out of the box.
Mega makes a good set, as do several other shops. Rainier Arms usually stocks various billet sets, as does Brownell's. Spike's also has a billet set for the AR15.
I think the best route is to go with a billet set of receivers that are mated to each other for a tight fit, or a billet upper tightly mated to a forged lower. I personally will go through 3-7 different receiver sets looking for the type of fit I want for a particular project, whereas most shops who make a quality billet set will send you one good-to-go out of the box.
Mega makes a good set, as do several other shops. Rainier Arms usually stocks various billet sets, as does Brownell's. Spike's also has a billet set for the AR15.
