07-10-2012, 08:41 PM
Another noob question about receivers.
With a 24" heavy barrel, I see everyone recommending a billet upper. What about the lower? Can you mix a billet upper with a forged lower, or should I go with a complete billet receiver?
Does anyone have data and/or experience with the various billet/forged combinations with 24" heavy barrels?
I have a Wilson Combat SST .223 with PRS stock and 2-stage trigger that I really like and shoot well.
I have a GR 24" heavy barrel and bolt on order from AA. I had planned on building the upper at JD Machine, but they do not make billet uppers for AR-15 (only for AR-10). So back to drawing board.
I am looking to push my limits on my local range (out to 890 yards), but probably not going to do much more than local competitions. It won't be shot everyday, but want to build as accurate and reliable gun as I can. Funding is not an issue - but don't want to spend where I don't have to.
With a 24" heavy barrel, I see everyone recommending a billet upper. What about the lower? Can you mix a billet upper with a forged lower, or should I go with a complete billet receiver?
Does anyone have data and/or experience with the various billet/forged combinations with 24" heavy barrels?
I have a Wilson Combat SST .223 with PRS stock and 2-stage trigger that I really like and shoot well.
I have a GR 24" heavy barrel and bolt on order from AA. I had planned on building the upper at JD Machine, but they do not make billet uppers for AR-15 (only for AR-10). So back to drawing board.
I am looking to push my limits on my local range (out to 890 yards), but probably not going to do much more than local competitions. It won't be shot everyday, but want to build as accurate and reliable gun as I can. Funding is not an issue - but don't want to spend where I don't have to.
