Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Who makes the highest quality cut rifle barrel for the grendel?
#8
Smokepole50 Wrote:Bob...............From your experience with cut rifled barrels vs button rifled barrels, did you see a greater POI shift from residual barrel stress with the button rifled barrels as they warmed up during sustained fire? I would think a cut rifle barrel would be an advanage on a Grendel if your shoot a match.
Not really, I have four Krieger barrels at the moment and one of them will not shoot a cold bore first shot, requiring fouling shots but then settles in and stays very stable. I have a Wilson button rifled barrel and it shoots as good as the normal Kriegers from first shot to last, a normal regional match is 88 shots and it doesn't shift or degrade for this period.
I also have a Schneider button rifled barrel on my Tubb 2000 in 6.5 Creedmoor and it just seems to shoot everything well. I shot two back to back 20 shot strings the other day both were 198 and a friend shot a third 20 shot string also a 198. This was at 600 yards prone with rapidly fishtailing winds. All shots were X ring height with all points lost due to missed wind calls. So, I would say it is pretty stable.
I would maintain that a cut rifle barrel is actually a wiser investment if you shoot a lot as they cost approximately 2X what a button rifled barrel costs but last twice as long. But you save a trip to the range to establish a no wind zero which for me is usually $150 minimum.
Bob
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Who makes the highest quality cut rifle barrel for the grendel? - by stokesrj - 06-21-2012, 01:32 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)