Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Private ranges
#6
fkleinbu Wrote:If not I have a 3500 watt generator which I can use.. The only question being if it will big enough to carry the AC unit..

Gandering at some window mounted AC units online--- As an example I'm looking at a 15,000 BTU unit that draws 12 amps at 115 volts. If you figure 115v X 12 amps for 1380 watts, then multiply that times 3 (surge draw on startup) comes out to 4,140 watts. That's for a pretty large unit, and I doubt you'd need one that big either. What is the full rating on your genny? If it's at 3500 watt steady state and with a higher surge value, it should carry about any normal sized window mount AC unit just fine.

Another 12,000 BTU unit I just did the math on comes out:

115v X 10.2A = 1173 watts
1173 watts X 3 for surge = 3519 watts

I'd say you should probably be able to find an AC unit that your genny could carry the load of OK.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Private ranges - by fkleinbu - 06-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Private ranges - by stokesrj - 06-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Private ranges - by fkleinbu - 06-04-2012, 11:49 PM
Private ranges - by stokesrj - 06-05-2012, 12:49 AM
Private ranges - by Drifter - 06-05-2012, 02:23 AM
Private ranges - by Variable - 06-05-2012, 04:14 AM
Private ranges - by Variable - 06-05-2012, 04:27 AM
Private ranges - by fkleinbu - 06-05-2012, 04:31 AM
Private ranges - by fkleinbu - 06-05-2012, 04:38 AM
Private ranges - by stokesrj - 06-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Private ranges - by fkleinbu - 06-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Private ranges - by fkleinbu - 06-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Private ranges - by fkleinbu - 06-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Private ranges - by fkleinbu - 06-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Private ranges - by Drifter - 06-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Private ranges - by fkleinbu - 06-06-2012, 02:43 AM
Private ranges - by stokesrj - 06-06-2012, 03:16 AM
Private ranges - by jkingrph - 06-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Private ranges - by fkleinbu - 06-10-2012, 02:35 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)