06-05-2012, 02:23 AM
With the right optics and targets, spotting hits is easy at the distances mentioned (<150 yds) without the use of cams or video. Targets should have no more black than necessary to get consistent holds, as white shows holes much better.
Using a 15x scope, I use this target at 100 yards:
http://www.mytargets.com/target22%20circles%20x20.pdf
And this one at 200 yards:
http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/10148.pdf
Rarely is there a hit that can't be spotted with these.
Basically, I would move the target cam down the priority list for your stated distances.
On another note, I'm not a fan of a roof over a shooting bench due to increased noise and concussion. I would lean more towards a removable canvas tarp for shade (or "party tent" of some sort), which shouldn't bounce the sound back at the shooter too much. Perhaps inexpensive box fans instead of air-conditioning to help deal with the heat.
Using a 15x scope, I use this target at 100 yards:
http://www.mytargets.com/target22%20circles%20x20.pdf
And this one at 200 yards:
http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/10148.pdf
Rarely is there a hit that can't be spotted with these.
Basically, I would move the target cam down the priority list for your stated distances.
On another note, I'm not a fan of a roof over a shooting bench due to increased noise and concussion. I would lean more towards a removable canvas tarp for shade (or "party tent" of some sort), which shouldn't bounce the sound back at the shooter too much. Perhaps inexpensive box fans instead of air-conditioning to help deal with the heat.
Drifter

