Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Accuracy improvement with different gas block
#1
Prior to my range run today, my "Grendel" rifle (.264 LBC tube) shot what I considered lackluster groups--certainly not the ragged, one-hole groups that I've Satern owners post in pics here on 65G. I spent north of six Benjamins on the barrel/bolt combo straight from Les Baer, so I was disappointed that the barrel printed an average of around 1 to 1.25 MOA with factory ammo.

Before I built the gun I read (perhaps on 6mmbr.com?) that for a target gun one should opt for a clamp-on gas block rather than a set-screw block because the set screws could deform the bore. I wanted to get a clamp-on block for my .936" gas block seat, but the only one I found in steel, my preferred material, was a Model 1 Sales block. I turned up my nose at the M1S block, figuring it was inferior, and opted for a steel, low-profile block that employed set screws that I got from either Rainer or Palmetto. After all, how could relatively light pressure from a couple tiny set screws deform a heavy barrel wall?

I don't know if the set screws deformed the barrel wall, but it seems the clamp-on gas block that replaced the old set-screw block has made for an improvement in accuracy. Perhaps the much larger, heavier clamp-on block changed the barrel harmonics, but whatever the reason, factory Hornady 123 grn Amax is printing groups about half the size of groups I've shot in the past. I still need to shoot more groups in duplicate conditions to confirm, but so far my results are encouraging. Oh, and I used blue loctite under the clamp-on block during installation, whereas the old set-screw block went on sans loctite. I believe the new block is the M1S block I eschewed a year ago. I picked it up on the cheap from the ARFcom equipment exchange.

I'm curious if anyone else has experienced similar results.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Accuracy improvement with different gas block - by ss355 - 06-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Accuracy improvement with different gas block - by Whelenon - 06-01-2012, 11:16 PM
Accuracy improvement with different gas block - by DHumbarger - 06-02-2012, 01:05 PM
Accuracy improvement with different gas block - by ss355 - 06-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Accuracy improvement with different gas block - by stokesrj - 06-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Accuracy improvement with different gas block - by DHumbarger - 06-02-2012, 10:36 PM
Accuracy improvement with different gas block - by ss355 - 06-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Accuracy improvement with different gas block - by ricsmall - 06-15-2012, 10:06 PM
Accuracy improvement with different gas block - by ss355 - 06-15-2012, 10:25 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)