05-23-2012, 06:17 PM
5.56 is currently much cheaper to shoot than Grendel, and is more appropriate for the close-range fight/military carbine use. There are many lengthy discussions on this topic in the Military & Law Enforcement Section.
5.56 will continue to be my dominant carbine cartridge, although I could see Grendel displacing it somewhat when the steel case comes online. For rapid strings of close-range fire, the 5.56 will continue to have less recoil impulse. I have tested this with my 16" Grendel using lighter 100gr NBT's, vs. 5.56, and there is a significantly increased felt recoil impulse from the Grendel, although much more controllable than a 7.62 NATO of course.
5.56 will continue to be my dominant carbine cartridge, although I could see Grendel displacing it somewhat when the steel case comes online. For rapid strings of close-range fire, the 5.56 will continue to have less recoil impulse. I have tested this with my 16" Grendel using lighter 100gr NBT's, vs. 5.56, and there is a significantly increased felt recoil impulse from the Grendel, although much more controllable than a 7.62 NATO of course.
