09-01-2023, 09:18 PM
I have a neck split problem with my Grendel. The barrel is Ballistics Advantage and is a good shooter. Something I mentioned on the forum a while back was that once fired Hornady brass, on the first reload, split on 49 of the 50 reloads. Splits and even shattered necks. It had to be the brass. I bought some Starline brass, thinking that would fix the problem. Im not having splits as bad as I did on the Hornady, but splits after the second reload on a more than normal percentage of the cases. Maybe, I thought, it was the chamber. I got out the micrometer and started measuring. Heres what I got:
- bullet diameter .264
- Loaded round case neck OD of .290
- case neck OD after firing of .299 to .300
- resized case neck OD of .287
From poking around the internet, those numbers look normal. If so, do I just have another batch of bad brass? I had heard you guys say that grendel brass has a long life, but Im not seeing that. Neck tension of .003 seems reasonable.
What am I missing? This is a Redding FL sizing. Used maybe 150 times so far.
- bullet diameter .264
- Loaded round case neck OD of .290
- case neck OD after firing of .299 to .300
- resized case neck OD of .287
From poking around the internet, those numbers look normal. If so, do I just have another batch of bad brass? I had heard you guys say that grendel brass has a long life, but Im not seeing that. Neck tension of .003 seems reasonable.
What am I missing? This is a Redding FL sizing. Used maybe 150 times so far.

