09-02-2022, 12:56 PM
Folks,
I'd really appreciate your help with a question that has been bugging me relating to the neck tension on my 6.5 Grendel brass. I'm not hugely experienced with reloading bottle necked cases; most of my experience to date has been straight walled pistol rounds (38/357 & 40 S&W), however it feels to me that there might be too much tension on my projectiles - as they are seated as there is a bit of pressure and I am getting faint rings on my projectiles from the seating die, not to mention I struggled removing one bullet with a kinetic bullet puller. The rounds work no problem at all with no pressure signs and acceptable accuracy when I do my part.
A bit of info below to help with the diagnosis:
Brass: Hornady once fired (factory American Gunner/Black)
Projectiles: 123gr ELDM
Dies: Forster Full length sizing/Bench rest seating. I've also checked the sizing ball is 0.264" and located in the right place per the info with the dies.
Brass thickness at the neck: ~0.015"
Unsized neck diameter: enough for a projectile to drop into
Sized neck diameter internal: ~0.258"
Sized neck diameter outside: ~0.288"
My real question is this normal for this brass, or should I be adding another step to get the internal neck diameter to closer to 0.260" through either outside neck turning the brass or something like a 0.264" KM expander mandrel? I know I should have probably started with Lapua brass but 200x American Gunner loaded ammo was cheaper than 100x Lapua brass.
Thanks in advance.
Paulie
I'd really appreciate your help with a question that has been bugging me relating to the neck tension on my 6.5 Grendel brass. I'm not hugely experienced with reloading bottle necked cases; most of my experience to date has been straight walled pistol rounds (38/357 & 40 S&W), however it feels to me that there might be too much tension on my projectiles - as they are seated as there is a bit of pressure and I am getting faint rings on my projectiles from the seating die, not to mention I struggled removing one bullet with a kinetic bullet puller. The rounds work no problem at all with no pressure signs and acceptable accuracy when I do my part.
A bit of info below to help with the diagnosis:
Brass: Hornady once fired (factory American Gunner/Black)
Projectiles: 123gr ELDM
Dies: Forster Full length sizing/Bench rest seating. I've also checked the sizing ball is 0.264" and located in the right place per the info with the dies.
Brass thickness at the neck: ~0.015"
Unsized neck diameter: enough for a projectile to drop into
Sized neck diameter internal: ~0.258"
Sized neck diameter outside: ~0.288"
My real question is this normal for this brass, or should I be adding another step to get the internal neck diameter to closer to 0.260" through either outside neck turning the brass or something like a 0.264" KM expander mandrel? I know I should have probably started with Lapua brass but 200x American Gunner loaded ammo was cheaper than 100x Lapua brass.
Thanks in advance.
Paulie

