Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
95 gr VMax
#22
grayfox Wrote:+1. good for what it's designed for. All the more reason to have more than 1 gun!!
Smile

(ps, the wife has lots of pairs of shoes... like the Larry Potterfield ad!)

lazyengineer Wrote:Depends on yoru interests and setting. 6.5 Grendel was designed to be the most potent round you can fit into a small frame AR15 platform. And so it is. But in the end, it's stil about 28 gr of gunpower power Comparing it to a .308 or other larger class rounds that run 40 gr of gunpowder power, is obviously a stark comparison. The trade off is with those game rounds, you have to run a heavy frame rifle. With bolt-action, not so big a deal; and one reason I wold never bother with a bolt-action 6.5 Grendel. But if ou want a a self-loading rifle (again, the entire point of Grendel), then that gets into a whole separate classification of rifle and management. For example, I run my 6.5 Grendel hunting rig with a light weight 14.5" pin and weld barrel, and light weight Hogster Thermal. The system allows me to one-hand glass my night-zone while I'm walking, with that rifle. While my left hand is carrying the tripod for fast deployment. I can't dream of doing that with a .308 class rifle. And this system gives me 27 rounds in teh gun, if I so choose (rarely do I). More importantly, it's a system that allows fast follow-up shots if I am engaging multiple targets, or the first shot needs a follow-up. The 6.5 Grendel is the only hunting rifle I've ever used, where I was able to fire a successful follow-up shot onto game and drop it right there.

but in the end, it's still just 28 gr of gunpowder. It's the most power you can get in an AR15, and it IS effective, with 800/1000 ft-lb of energy going out quite a ways. but really, to me, if I'm hunting deer, it's a 200 yard gun - not a 400 yard gun. It'll work at 400 yards, but that better be a good shot. I would not take it on an african safari. I would take it as my first choice for a night hunting rifle, as well as for a wide distance 200 yard staking deer rifle, which I do.

I do agree that it is a nice compromise cartridge and appreciate what it can do, within itÂ’s limits. However, for hunting applications here in Deep South Texas I prefer the 450 Bushmaster as I sometimes run into Nilgai. The stopping power of the 450BM is quite impressive on these animals. Ranges rarely exceed 150yards where I walk and stalk hunt BTW.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
95 gr VMax - by 8Crow - 07-01-2022, 08:17 PM
95 gr VMax - by Harpoon1 - 07-01-2022, 09:18 PM
95 gr VMax - by 603 Country - 07-01-2022, 09:33 PM
95 gr VMax - by Harpoon1 - 07-01-2022, 09:47 PM
95 gr VMax - by Double Naught Spy - 07-02-2022, 02:25 AM
95 gr VMax - by northdude - 07-02-2022, 09:32 AM
95 gr VMax - by Harpoon1 - 07-02-2022, 01:42 PM
95 gr VMax - by dammitman - 07-02-2022, 09:09 PM
95 gr VMax - by Double Naught Spy - 07-03-2022, 02:36 AM
95 gr VMax - by northdude - 07-05-2022, 07:51 AM
95 gr VMax - by Harpoon1 - 07-05-2022, 08:32 AM
95 gr VMax - by Growler - 07-06-2022, 12:42 AM
95 gr VMax - by 8Crow - 07-06-2022, 03:42 PM
95 gr VMax - by lazyengineer - 07-06-2022, 04:59 PM
95 gr VMax - by CJW - 07-06-2022, 06:32 PM
95 gr VMax - by northdude - 07-07-2022, 09:47 AM
95 gr VMax - by mikeO38 - 07-14-2022, 01:44 AM
95 gr VMax - by BliksemDonder - 07-14-2022, 02:06 AM
95 gr VMax - by lazyengineer - 07-14-2022, 04:19 PM
95 gr VMax - by grayfox - 07-14-2022, 05:34 PM
95 gr VMax - by CJW - 07-14-2022, 07:14 PM
95 gr VMax - by BliksemDonder - 07-14-2022, 11:11 PM
95 gr VMax - by BliksemDonder - 07-14-2022, 11:21 PM
95 gr VMax - by 8Crow - 07-21-2022, 10:34 PM
95 gr VMax - by VASCAR2 - 07-22-2022, 12:06 AM
95 gr VMax - by Ranchmanager - 07-22-2022, 01:12 AM
95 gr VMax - by LRRPF52 - 07-27-2022, 11:01 PM
95 gr VMax - by BliksemDonder - 07-27-2022, 11:58 PM
95 gr VMax - by LRRPF52 - 07-28-2022, 03:22 PM
95 gr VMax - by rickt300 - 07-29-2022, 05:35 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)