06-10-2022, 12:42 AM
Col,
The 95Vmax is an interesting bullet as out of the 11 I have tested it is the most stubby. By that I mean the shank is closest to the tip. Being light and stubby it is also short, so this is what you are saying with not enough shank gripping the inside neck at SAAMI benchmark length - 2.26". At 2.26" it has only 4.6mm of shank seating depth. As we know the convention is to have at least the calibre in shank contact, in this case 6.5mm. As a hand loader this is where you can make decisions outside convention if you have a good handle on what's going on.
In my gun at max mag length it is still not touching lands so I can have anything up to this, which is 58mm OAL. So, slightly longer than SAAMI 57.4mm OAL. At mag length 58mm there is only 4mm of the 95VMax shank in contact. But, if your grip is tight and the neck is still ductile then you can get away with less shank in contact than the convention of the calibre (6.5mm). I try for a .004" difference between the OD of the sized neck, and when it has a seated bullet in it. It seems OK as far as not moving forward or back on being violently loaded.
This way you can load as long as the mag and take advantage of the shortest possible jump and more case volume.
The 95Vmax is an interesting bullet as out of the 11 I have tested it is the most stubby. By that I mean the shank is closest to the tip. Being light and stubby it is also short, so this is what you are saying with not enough shank gripping the inside neck at SAAMI benchmark length - 2.26". At 2.26" it has only 4.6mm of shank seating depth. As we know the convention is to have at least the calibre in shank contact, in this case 6.5mm. As a hand loader this is where you can make decisions outside convention if you have a good handle on what's going on.
In my gun at max mag length it is still not touching lands so I can have anything up to this, which is 58mm OAL. So, slightly longer than SAAMI 57.4mm OAL. At mag length 58mm there is only 4mm of the 95VMax shank in contact. But, if your grip is tight and the neck is still ductile then you can get away with less shank in contact than the convention of the calibre (6.5mm). I try for a .004" difference between the OD of the sized neck, and when it has a seated bullet in it. It seems OK as far as not moving forward or back on being violently loaded.
This way you can load as long as the mag and take advantage of the shortest possible jump and more case volume.

