SCJim Wrote:if you really want to get serious about neck tension throw away your expander ball and start using expander mandrels instead. You wil get less runout and more consistent neck tension. I personally go with .003 neck tension on everything from .22 cal to .30 cal. From benchrest to plinkers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRc4juuh-c8
I bought into that too, turns out, its NOT the expander ball causing the issue! Its the bushing youre using. I switched over to the Short Action Custom bushings (and still used the factory expander ball also) and get mandrel like runout. That is .001 or less total is the norm! The mandrel works but, with the new SAC bushing, I find it a completely redundant unnecessary step. As simple as possible but no simpler! A.Einstein
I heard LE Wilson has had tapered bushing for a while, I have ordered a few to compare against the SAC, will post my results. The SAC bushing fits in the Whidden dies and with the Whidden adjustable expander ball kit, youve now got full control over neck sizing and tension in one step with minimal runout!
https://youtu.be/D2Gei8Wo6UA
https://youtu.be/P16Mhe3TMFQ

