02-03-2022, 03:06 PM
I have shot deer with SST's launched from a .280 rem, a .308 Win and a 7.62x39, all factory Hornady ammo, no more meat damage than I have seen from deer killed with CoreLokts, Fusions, Accubonds or any other bullet designed for big game.
The only SST I recovered was the .280 slug. I shot that 175 pound buck in the right shoulder, bullet was lodged under the skin on the left shoulder, buck reared up on his hind leg, turned left and tried to run, but merely nose-dived into the ground traveling 8 or 10 yards. Bullet mushroomed perfectly, weight excellent mass retention.
Punch 'em in the ribs and no meat of concern is lost. I don't fret much about shoulder meat either if that is the best shot presented. Don't mess up them hams and/or 'staps and it is all good for me.
The only SST I recovered was the .280 slug. I shot that 175 pound buck in the right shoulder, bullet was lodged under the skin on the left shoulder, buck reared up on his hind leg, turned left and tried to run, but merely nose-dived into the ground traveling 8 or 10 yards. Bullet mushroomed perfectly, weight excellent mass retention.
Punch 'em in the ribs and no meat of concern is lost. I don't fret much about shoulder meat either if that is the best shot presented. Don't mess up them hams and/or 'staps and it is all good for me.

