Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Steel 7.62x39 ammo - anyone covert to Grendel
#8
Um... I know this is a dumb question, and doesn't relate to the OP subject, but if you have steel cases 6.5 Grendel, why do Moscow Match? Why not just shoot it as is?

The OP was inquiring about some serious contortions to come up with shootable (maybe?) 6.5 Grendel ammo starting with 7.62x39 ammo.
the powder burn rate for 123gr. 7.62x39 is going to be quite different than what is needed in the 6.5 Grendel for 123gr. Grendel ammo.

Back when 6.5 Gr was just starting out I would go through the work (lot of work) to re-form brass 7.62x39 to 6.5 Grendel. It was a lot of work and as soon as I could get some genuine 6.5 Grendel brass I gladly moved to that. I am not sure how well steel would do through the reforming operations. and I did a couple neck anneals and a neck turning while getting to a fire formed case.

Many of the steel 7.62s39 cases I've examined had berdan priming, which would probably preclude doing any fireforming and then neck annealing and then reloading with a "normal" load. You'd have to go straight to the shooting part with no annealing and likely no neck turning in between. perhaps a better idea would be to acquire a couple of hundred cases when they next come available and call it good?

-tdbru
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Steel 7.62x39 ammo - anyone covert to Grendel - by tdbru - 01-13-2022, 11:17 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)