Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Nosler Partition 125s On Hogs - General Observations
#12
Double Naught Spy Wrote:outbreaker, as much as I enjoyed your pedantic response to the query, "Just curious, DNS, what is your favorite rounds for hogs?" I really think that I am more than capable of answering that question myself. Bjorn has seen my videos. He knows how I hunt. He and I have exchanged information in the past and I believe I fully understood his question and he will fully understand my answer.

Bjorn, there are four rounds that please me as they do the kind of destruction on soft tissue that I like to see. This is all from rifle length barrels on shots typically inside of 200 yards...

Hornady SST 123 gr. This round just plain works well and I have not had any accuracy issues with it as others have.

Federal Speer TNT 90 gr. This does as good of a job as the SST 123 gr., but with less material and a higher velocity which makes leading hogs a tad easier.

Druid Hill Armory Maker Rex 110 gr. This round really surprised me. You get all the destruction without lead contamination. Sooner or later I think we will be going to lead free bullets and this is one that I don't think of as being a compromise.

Precision Firearms Berger VLD-Hunting 130 gr. Crazy, over-the-top destruction, and did NOT perform as advertised. My major dislike of this round is that it is comparatively slow (but appropriate for the bullet weight).

If I had my druthers, it would come down to TNT as a lead choice or Maker Rex as a non-lead choice. I would not feel hamstrung by either one or feel a need to place my shots differently because I am using them. All of my choices are what I consider to be some of the most forgiving ammo when it comes to shot placement, which tends to matter most when dealing with runners.

First, I had to look up pedantic.
Second, your 123 GR SST choice has me confused or I misremembered, but I was sure you stated in some early videos you preferred the 129 GR SST.

Anyways I tried the 129’s and they have performed extremely well and are very accurate and consistent in my rifle. I have removed a dozen plus hogs from my property in the Rocksprings area and now only have them occasionally on the game camera. I am sure others will try to make a home there but I now know to shoot sows first…
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Nosler Partition 125s On Hogs - General Observations - by 65GbySeven - 01-05-2022, 02:01 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)