01-04-2022, 09:01 PM
DNS, I have about 100 of the 125 Partitions I have had on my shelf for years. I think originally my dad bought them for a 260. I have kept meaning to try them in the Grendel but never got around to it. After reading your review I probably won't waste the powder. Not that it doesn't sound like they would work in a pinch, but I have other bullets that are working well for me already and I'm not in a bind. Thank you for the thorough review and writeup.
I agree on the 90 TNT. Not that you need my confirmation, I know you don't. But I'll throw it out there anyways. I have shot quite a few of those in one of my Grendel rifles and to me they perform much better than they should on pigs considering what they are. Due to the way I hunt I really like the fact that they don't seem to bounce so bad on misses as some other things, yet can get deep enough to create some good internal damage when needed. In my other Grendel I had mainly been shooting the 95 VMAX and getting good results with it until they became nearly impossible to find as component bullets. I have a stash of a few hundred that I am hoarding and have put back. In the interim I bought a whole bunch of the now discontinued Sierra 85 HP. They are very accurate and work very well on coyotes. On pigs though they are for sure softer than both the 90 TNT and the 95 VMAX. Seems I either kill pigs spectacularly with them or tend to need a follow up or two. My opinion on the Sierra is that it probably pushes that lightweight varmint bullet concept a bit too far, and are a bit too soft.
My needs are possibly a bit different than others in that I need a bullet that performs equally well on both coyotes and pigs. It seems on any given night I could be focusing on either one. I might not even know for sure which I will be doing until I get out and see what is responding that night. IMO a fair number of good pig bullets are lacking when it comes to coyotes and just flat don't open fast enough to anchor coyotes quickly. Coyotes put a premium on 200-250 yard accuracy and quick energy dump. Good pig bullets need a wound cavity that will go moderately deep and occasionally break bone. Finding that right blend takes lots of shooting and testing, which you do well.
I agree on the 90 TNT. Not that you need my confirmation, I know you don't. But I'll throw it out there anyways. I have shot quite a few of those in one of my Grendel rifles and to me they perform much better than they should on pigs considering what they are. Due to the way I hunt I really like the fact that they don't seem to bounce so bad on misses as some other things, yet can get deep enough to create some good internal damage when needed. In my other Grendel I had mainly been shooting the 95 VMAX and getting good results with it until they became nearly impossible to find as component bullets. I have a stash of a few hundred that I am hoarding and have put back. In the interim I bought a whole bunch of the now discontinued Sierra 85 HP. They are very accurate and work very well on coyotes. On pigs though they are for sure softer than both the 90 TNT and the 95 VMAX. Seems I either kill pigs spectacularly with them or tend to need a follow up or two. My opinion on the Sierra is that it probably pushes that lightweight varmint bullet concept a bit too far, and are a bit too soft.
My needs are possibly a bit different than others in that I need a bullet that performs equally well on both coyotes and pigs. It seems on any given night I could be focusing on either one. I might not even know for sure which I will be doing until I get out and see what is responding that night. IMO a fair number of good pig bullets are lacking when it comes to coyotes and just flat don't open fast enough to anchor coyotes quickly. Coyotes put a premium on 200-250 yard accuracy and quick energy dump. Good pig bullets need a wound cavity that will go moderately deep and occasionally break bone. Finding that right blend takes lots of shooting and testing, which you do well.

