01-04-2022, 02:05 PM
Bjorn Wrote:Good and interesting report. Partitions are over 70 years old and are still going strong. That bullet is still the favorite of many elk and bear hunters.
Just curious, DNS, what is your favorite round for hogs? Let's say all rounds cost the same and ammo is readily available at your nearest brick and mortar store in whatever configuration you want. What would you pick off the shelf?
I have been killing wild hogs for close to 40 years. The answer to your question requires more information.
Where do you plan on shooting them?
I have killed them with everything from .22lr and 7.5 birdshot to the .300 RUM.
If you shoot them in the head ( only place I shoot them if eating them) any centerfire cartridge will work. .22 LR will work on young ones. I have killed 3 with headshots while quail hunting with 7.5 birdshot at about 1-2yds.
If you are heart/lung shooting them to recover my favorite is the 6.5 Grendel and 120gr NBT. I have also used 6mm Rem, .308 Win, 300 RUM, .303 British and .30-06.
If you are gut shooting them to let them run off and die so you do not have to worry with them, again any centerfire will work.

