Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Digital scale nightmare.
#7
I had a GemPro 250 scale go schizo. After cal it would run OK for about 30min & then readings would start fluctuating up & down. Tried re-cal - no help; shut-down, re-power, re-cal -no help. Tried waiting for about an hour with the scale off. That didn't help any either so I waited 24 hours & that seemed to work but then it would go schizo again after 30min. I used this scale problem free for about 10 years so I figured it was on it's last legs but wanted to try a few more things before giving it the Heave-Ho.

I wound the power cord through a ferrite core to to see if that eliminated any stray RF or fluctuating input-power problems. I didn't see any change. Next, I powered the scale with an external DC power supply that I have. The DC output of that PS is very stable. I don't remember what the AC ripple voltage was but it's pretty quiet. That seemed to work OK. I did one reloading session (almost an all-nighter) without seeing any schizoid problems. I thought the problem was fixed but then the scale went bonkers again the next time I used it with the external DC PS. Oh well! Rolleyes

I have a new digital scale... a Tree Jewelry scale (+/- .02gn sensitivity) that has been rock steady since I got it. It's Chinese but seems to be well made to me.

I never use the plastic specimen/powder pans that come with scales these days. The pans I use are the metal ones from my original RCBS balance scales.
I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Digital scale nightmare. - by Sticks - 12-26-2021, 04:44 PM
Digital scale nightmare. - by grayfox - 12-26-2021, 06:04 PM
Digital scale nightmare. - by Draftpick - 12-26-2021, 06:06 PM
Digital scale nightmare. - by SCJim - 12-26-2021, 06:47 PM
Digital scale nightmare. - by StoneHendge - 12-26-2021, 10:21 PM
Digital scale nightmare. - by Rosecrans1 - 12-26-2021, 11:01 PM
Digital scale nightmare. - by Old Bob - 12-27-2021, 02:17 AM
Digital scale nightmare. - by StoneHendge - 12-27-2021, 02:49 AM
Digital scale nightmare. - by SCJim - 12-27-2021, 06:48 AM
Digital scale nightmare. - by tdbru - 12-27-2021, 07:39 AM
Digital scale nightmare. - by tdbru - 12-27-2021, 07:50 AM
Digital scale nightmare. - by northdude - 12-27-2021, 11:33 AM
Digital scale nightmare. - by Sticks - 12-27-2021, 12:23 PM
Digital scale nightmare. - by Oryx - 12-27-2021, 12:26 PM
Digital scale nightmare. - by grayfox - 12-27-2021, 02:19 PM
Digital scale nightmare. - by grayfox - 12-27-2021, 02:42 PM
Digital scale nightmare. - by SCJim - 12-27-2021, 04:20 PM
Digital scale nightmare. - by SDW - 12-27-2021, 04:46 PM
Digital scale nightmare. - by Sticks - 12-27-2021, 06:06 PM
Digital scale nightmare. - by SCJim - 12-27-2021, 06:39 PM
Digital scale nightmare. - by Sticks - 12-27-2021, 06:51 PM
Digital scale nightmare. - by Old Bob - 12-27-2021, 09:01 PM
Digital scale nightmare. - by SCJim - 12-27-2021, 11:07 PM
Digital scale nightmare. - by Happy2Shoot - 12-28-2021, 12:50 AM
Digital scale nightmare. - by Stugotz - 12-28-2021, 01:00 AM
Digital scale nightmare. - by Harpoon1 - 12-28-2021, 02:04 AM
Digital scale nightmare. - by Stugotz - 12-28-2021, 04:37 AM
Digital scale nightmare. - by SCJim - 12-28-2021, 09:44 AM
Digital scale nightmare. - by Harpoon1 - 12-28-2021, 02:03 PM
Digital scale nightmare. - by SCJim - 12-28-2021, 02:28 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)