Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Best bullet on hand for whitetail deer with a grendel
#15
Stinky Coyote Wrote:barnes has a 115 gr ttsx tac-tx supposedly opens down to 1400, appeals as mono and for reloaders even though you can get the factory ammo I find it's too slow, crimped, bullet seated short as compared to the Hornady so it seems like they really worried about semi-auto set-up, reloaders should be able to push the 115 faster than the factory and seat it further out a bit, anyway I digress, I've been watching for reports and tests on the 115 which is not to be confused with the other barnes 6.5 offerings which are way tougher design for the typical high speed cartridges...only the 115 is supposed to be for the short barrel AR style speeds, so I am imagining it will compete with your bullets once we see some recovered slugs and gel tests

for those of us who don't reload you can get the barnes mono 115's in factory ammo for the lead free places or if that's your choice, it's tough to beat the factory hornady black ammo, the high bc/sd lets it stretch it's legs where the bullets with lesser legs lose that efficiency, with only 30 grains of powder to play with there's something to be said for those 123's and maximizing range potentials, for 300 yard or less hunters then copper away, I just dialled up a fat Alberta Whitetail Doe at 420 yards with a 16" barrel bolt action and on quartering away shot entered mid ribs and after 15" penetration exited with a 1.5" hole out the opposite inside front shoulder/neck and destroyed everything above the heart, not sure I'd be dialing up a copper that far?, I still had 1800 fps with a 2386 fps launch, she went down right there, I have a hard time going backwards on sd/bc with this cartridge, brain doesn't want to accept giving up any inches on the 123's, the 118gr you have looks pretty good, long though, I'd likely have a look if I reloaded

We make loaded ammo in both the 118 grain and 105 grain.
Both out of stock currently however in production right now.
Barnes TTSX bullets do not open as reliably or as big as the CBB's do.
CBB is a CNC milled bullet. A Barnes is a swaged into a mold.
The length of the 118 isnt an issue. It has to do with how the cavity effects both pressure and initial movement of the projectile.
As well the cavity also changes how the projectile does not need as fast a twist rate as it would seem.
Lastly with the cavity they do not tend to reverse themselves like many monolithic bullets do when expanding.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Best bullet on hand for whitetail deer with a grendel - by CavityBackBullets - 12-01-2021, 02:58 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)