11-12-2021, 11:56 PM
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2021, 06:19 AM by RetroJunkie98.)
Hey guys!
Just took my 12.5 pistol out for load development for deer season. The results were a mixed bag.
So heres the loads I tried:
Control:
129gr ABLR
Hornady brass
CCI 450
26.7gr H4895 (Hornady max charge)
2150 fps
Everything with this load performed as expected, just be sure everything was functioning fine.
Test loads:
129gr ABLR
Hornady brass
CCI 450
25.1 - 26.1gr IMR 4895 (Hornady max charge)
1950 fps max
Theres no way this is actually the max velocity for this powder? Surely these two powders being so similar wouldnt be so drastically different in max velocity? Most of the other powders Ive tried, have made it to the 2150 range before hitting max charge, including BLC2, 8208, and Varget even made it to 2100. I feel like Hornadys data for IMR 4895 is a little too conservative here.
I probably wouldnt be as upset, if the accuracy wasnt significantly better than the H4895 groups. But of course it would be spitting ragged holes *sigh*.
Anyways, does anyone have any load data for 129/130gr with IMR 4895 in the Grendel? Im holding out hope for a source that says I can push this powder up a bit farther, safely.
Thanks!
Just took my 12.5 pistol out for load development for deer season. The results were a mixed bag.
So heres the loads I tried:
Control:
129gr ABLR
Hornady brass
CCI 450
26.7gr H4895 (Hornady max charge)
2150 fps
Everything with this load performed as expected, just be sure everything was functioning fine.
Test loads:
129gr ABLR
Hornady brass
CCI 450
25.1 - 26.1gr IMR 4895 (Hornady max charge)
1950 fps max
Theres no way this is actually the max velocity for this powder? Surely these two powders being so similar wouldnt be so drastically different in max velocity? Most of the other powders Ive tried, have made it to the 2150 range before hitting max charge, including BLC2, 8208, and Varget even made it to 2100. I feel like Hornadys data for IMR 4895 is a little too conservative here.
I probably wouldnt be as upset, if the accuracy wasnt significantly better than the H4895 groups. But of course it would be spitting ragged holes *sigh*.
Anyways, does anyone have any load data for 129/130gr with IMR 4895 in the Grendel? Im holding out hope for a source that says I can push this powder up a bit farther, safely.
Thanks!

