lazyengineer Wrote:I've studied (and once even witnessed), enough AR Kabooms, to realize the system is quite well engineered. AR Kaboms dont' sent huge fragments into the shooters head (unlike say a 1903 or homemade .50 cal Kaboom!). AR15 Kabooms result in minor scratches, hand brueses, and sometimes skin deep minor bleeding.
.
Klem Wrote:I think differently and would instead cautiously fire the first round from the hip while briefly looking away (obviously pointing in a safe direction). I do that with all new barrels anyway. You can even wear gloves and hold it away from your body if concerned.
The opinions on using head space gauges are rather surprising and entertaining to say the least..
AR Kaboms dont' sent huge fragments into the shooters head
AR15 Kabooms result in minor scratches, hand brueses, and sometimes skin deep minor bleeding..
So yea, checking with gages is great. But don't think it's some insane crazy cavalier risk to take parts
that shoudl be in spec, assemble, and fire
I think differently and would instead cautiously fire the first round from the hip while briefly looking away
(obviously pointing in a safe direction). I do that with all new barrels anyway. You can even wear gloves
and hold it away from your body if concerned.
lazyengineer Wrote:Too tight a chamber (more common), results in bolt that wont' rotate, and so firing pin that won't reach, and so a "click", and that's it.I have three 5.56 barrels that have short chambers that functioned perfectly. Blown primers are the main indication of a short chamber and sometimes over pressure signs on the brass in my experience..
.
Tight chambers are a completely different problem where the chamber reamer was not properly shaped when chambering the barrel. Brass stuck in the chamber is the main sign of a tight chamber in my experience. A function gauge is the tool used to check for a tight chamber..

