Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Newb with newb questions.
#10
frank4570 Wrote:Wow, this is going to be easier than I thought. Here is my rifle http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=15A4B , it seems to be all basic mil spec, I should be fine, but I'll check a little more just to be sure.

I now understand there are a few grendel-type calibers, SAOD and others. Could I get some suggestions for specific manufacturers who should be top notch barrel makers? It sounds like AA makes good stuff, SAOD is also sounding good. Who else?
Here is one I am looking at: http://www.ar15performance.com/264lbc
18" seems like it would work well for my purposes.
My wants are strongly effected by my long range experience, so I want high BC bullets with as much velocity as they can stand. But the reality is that my shots will be mostly 300 yds and less, and I may spend a lot of time carrying this gun, and creeping through the brush. Still, I'll probably opt for heavy bullets to give them some penetration advantage.

Oh, the gun is a flat top, and it's had a moderately good trigger job. I may upgrade the trigger at some point, and the pins.
Thanks for the help.


The conversion is simple but there are a few processes you need to properly follow like torquing the barrel nut. There is plenty of info here and on the web on how to do that so I won't re-hash it.

The ideal bullet weight for this cartridge is 120-123 grains. 100 grain projectiles perform very well also but the 140gr+ bullets aren't ideal because of limited case capacity. You can expect 2500 FPS +- from 123 gr bullets.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Newb with newb questions. - by frank4570 - 04-06-2012, 12:25 AM
Newb with newb questions. - by hm2 clark - 04-06-2012, 02:00 AM
Newb with newb questions. - by frank4570 - 04-06-2012, 02:15 AM
Newb with newb questions. - by Schwag173 - 04-06-2012, 02:29 AM
Newb with newb questions. - by LRRPF52 - 04-06-2012, 04:59 AM
Newb with newb questions. - by RangerRick - 04-06-2012, 06:42 AM
Newb with newb questions. - by Variable - 04-06-2012, 09:18 AM
Newb with newb questions. - by leopard6.5 - 04-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Newb with newb questions. - by frank4570 - 04-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Newb with newb questions. - by txgunner00 - 04-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Newb with newb questions. - by bwaites - 04-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Newb with newb questions. - by Schwag173 - 04-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Newb with newb questions. - by VASCAR2 - 04-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Newb with newb questions. - by frank4570 - 04-07-2012, 01:28 AM
Newb with newb questions. - by CPT.CRAZY - 04-07-2012, 01:53 AM
Newb with newb questions. - by frank4570 - 04-07-2012, 02:50 AM
Newb with newb questions. - by txgunner00 - 04-07-2012, 04:29 AM
Newb with newb questions. - by Bwild97 - 04-07-2012, 06:09 AM
Newb with newb questions. - by frank4570 - 04-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Newb with newb questions. - by Schwag173 - 04-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Newb with newb questions. - by CPT.CRAZY - 04-07-2012, 08:54 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)