Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Newb with newb questions.
#9
Wow, this is going to be easier than I thought. Here is my rifle http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=15A4B , it seems to be all basic mil spec, I should be fine, but I'll check a little more just to be sure.

I now understand there are a few grendel-type calibers, SAOD and others. Could I get some suggestions for specific manufacturers who should be top notch barrel makers? It sounds like AA makes good stuff, SAOD is also sounding good. Who else?
Here is one I am looking at: http://www.ar15performance.com/264lbc
18" seems like it would work well for my purposes.
My wants are strongly effected by my long range experience, so I want high BC bullets with as much velocity as they can stand. But the reality is that my shots will be mostly 300 yds and less, and I may spend a lot of time carrying this gun, and creeping through the brush. Still, I'll probably opt for heavy bullets to give them some penetration advantage.

Oh, the gun is a flat top, and it's had a moderately good trigger job. I may upgrade the trigger at some point, and the pins.
Thanks for the help.

RangerRick Wrote:Hi Frank,

Welcome! Go for it. I think you'll be happy with the Grendel conversion if you get a good barrel.

Pretty much any mil spec or close AR-15 can be converted. The videos on you tube about building an AR apply to a Grendel, but they are all over the map so take them with a grain of salt.

You need a good quality barrel. Torque the barrel nut well. Align the gas tube and gas block properly and seal them. Leaks here can affect accuracy. Did I say torque the barrel nut well? Then re-torque it.

The Grendel puts a little more strain there than the .556 so it has to be done right to get and keep good accuracy.

You don't have to use a floating barrel forearm, but it will improve accuracy.

What style of upper is it? A flat top? A flat top is more versatile, but any type will work. The Armalite uppers have a decent reputation.

The trigger, as you probably already know, can make a huge difference in accuracy.

For white tails and coyotes the standard parts will do, But groundhogs at extended ranges are more of a challenge.

You might think that going with lighter, faster bullets would be the thing for distance shooting, but the higher BC of the 120-123 grain bullets and their ability to buck the wind better usually wins out at longer ranges.

Most people have good luck with the Hornady 123 AMaxes, they tend to work well in most barrel/chamber combinations. They would be a good place to start.

Good Luck!

RR
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Newb with newb questions. - by frank4570 - 04-06-2012, 12:25 AM
Newb with newb questions. - by hm2 clark - 04-06-2012, 02:00 AM
Newb with newb questions. - by frank4570 - 04-06-2012, 02:15 AM
Newb with newb questions. - by Schwag173 - 04-06-2012, 02:29 AM
Newb with newb questions. - by LRRPF52 - 04-06-2012, 04:59 AM
Newb with newb questions. - by RangerRick - 04-06-2012, 06:42 AM
Newb with newb questions. - by Variable - 04-06-2012, 09:18 AM
Newb with newb questions. - by leopard6.5 - 04-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Newb with newb questions. - by frank4570 - 04-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Newb with newb questions. - by txgunner00 - 04-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Newb with newb questions. - by bwaites - 04-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Newb with newb questions. - by Schwag173 - 04-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Newb with newb questions. - by VASCAR2 - 04-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Newb with newb questions. - by frank4570 - 04-07-2012, 01:28 AM
Newb with newb questions. - by CPT.CRAZY - 04-07-2012, 01:53 AM
Newb with newb questions. - by frank4570 - 04-07-2012, 02:50 AM
Newb with newb questions. - by txgunner00 - 04-07-2012, 04:29 AM
Newb with newb questions. - by Bwild97 - 04-07-2012, 06:09 AM
Newb with newb questions. - by frank4570 - 04-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Newb with newb questions. - by Schwag173 - 04-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Newb with newb questions. - by CPT.CRAZY - 04-07-2012, 08:54 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)