Concussive Hearing Loss
#4
Fess Wrote:Here is an interesting article that I saw at the AccurateShooter website. As some of us get older, we become more aware of hearing loss and say to ourselves "If I had only known..."

I knew that the blast from a braked 50 BMG could do damage, but had not realized that you could lose hearing from the concussive blast of a typical firearm even if you have sufficient hearing protection. Apparently the concussive force is transmitted though the facial bones to the tiny bones in the ear. I would think that this is becoming more of an issue as there is increasing use of very short barrels and muzzle brakes. The author recommends a sound suppressor, but anything done to reduce the concussive blast, including having a longer barrel or just shooting without a muzzle brake helps.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2021...ring-loss/

Fess:

When I had to spend time around Barrets, I started wearing a shemagh with Oakleys to protect my face from the blast from those things. Or pull a hood over as much of my face as possible. Even when it was hot out. I found that protecting my entire face from that blast and the crap they would throw back was super important to keep from getting punch drunk and or sick. I have seen some pretty tough guys vomiting after being exposed to that overpressure for a while.

Now, an M-2? No need other than double ear pro and eye pro. Blast goes out from the barrel and not back. Can hang around them for quite a while without a problem.

LR55
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Concussive Hearing Loss - by Fess - 01-21-2021, 09:00 PM
Concussive Hearing Loss - by Klem - 01-21-2021, 10:16 PM
Concussive Hearing Loss - by Fess - 01-22-2021, 12:53 AM
Concussive Hearing Loss - by LR1955 - 01-22-2021, 02:10 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)