Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Considering 6.5 Grendel conversion or 6mm Arc conversion
#4
The 6 ARC is optimized for long range shooting with heavier bullets. A lot of the 6 ARC barrels are 1:7, 1:7.5 or 1:8 twist. If your varmint hunting I don’t know if the short 6 MM varmint bullets will be over stabilized in the fast twist 6 ARC barrels. The 243 Winchester have a slower twist. Western Powder reloading data shows 243 using a 1:10 twist 24” barrel and the 6 MM PCC uses a 1:14 twist. There are 6/.243 bullets as light as 55 grains with some hunting bullets over 100 grains.

If my primary goal was varmint hunting I’d want to know if the light bullets are accurate in the fast twist 6 MM ARC barrels. My only experience is shooting 50 grain .224 varmint bullets in 1:7 twist which came apart. I don’t know the answer but I do know the 6.5 Grendel is a very versatile cartridge for the AR-15. The light 85, 90 and 95 grain bullets are accurate in my 1:9 and 1:8 twist 6.5 Grendel barrels. I’m not concerned about pelt damage so the 6.5 Grendel works for me.

One of my favorite 6.5 Grendel barrels is my Faxon Group Buy 18” 6.5 Grendel. I really like the balance and ballistics on this rifle as the barrel contour meets my sweet spot for utility. I’m seriously considering a 20” 6 MM ARC out of the next group buy Green Mountain barrels. I just can’t decide if I want to add another caliber.

If your goal is Target Shooting the 6 ARC has a slight advantage. If you want to hunt a wider variety of species the 6.5 Grendel is more versatile.

I just thought to check Hornady’s load data on 6 MM ARC gas gun and bolt action. Their data uses 1:7.5 twist and list a 58 gain V-Max. I guess the 6 ARC twist will be GTG with varmint bullets.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Considering 6.5 Grendel conversion or 6mm Arc conversion - by VASCAR2 - 01-02-2021, 10:09 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)