FlashHercules Wrote:Finally getting out to the lease this weekend to dial in my 13" Grendel upper, get some chronograph data, zero my scope, etc... but I'm not sure what ammo to use for the break in procedure. I'm thinking the Wolf bimetal projectiles could make it a little easier when cleaning fouling, but wanted to get y'all's opinion first.
Thanks in advance!
FlashHercules Wrote:Finally getting out to the lease this weekend to dial in my 13" Grendel upper, get some chronograph data, zero my scope, etc... but I'm not sure what ammo to use for the break in procedure. I'm thinking the Wolf bimetal projectiles could make it a little easier when cleaning fouling, but wanted to get y'all's opinion first.
Thanks in advance!
I won't waste quality ammo on a function test. For ARs that I assemble with non-adjustable gas, I function test with the cheapest stuff I have on hand or can find locally. For those builds with adjustable gas systems, I use the weakest I can find when dialing in the gas. I don't do the "break in" voodoo ritual, just a thorough cleaning afterward.
For my four Grendel AR builds, I have used Wolf. I have used other brands of steel case on other builds as well. I've never had a steel case round stick, fail to eject, or malfunction in any other way. Personally I have no reservations about firing the stuff in any of my AR builds.
After the initial function test, I attach the applicable optic and then sight in with the ammo that I intend to shoot regularly out of the applicable rifle.
For my bolt actions rifles (including two Grendel rifles), I use the ammo I intend to shoot regularly from the get go.

