07-14-2020, 02:22 PM
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2020, 02:28 PM by lazyengineer.)
For a red-dot, I agree with this distance, and use similar. For a scope, I do not. I usually use 200 yard zero for typical scope zero, for 5.56 and similar; but not necessarily so for Grendel.
I once got burned using a ~200 yard zero with Grendel in a slow configuration system and load. With a 36 yard zero, just be aware of the similar. In my case, it meant my 100 yard zero was almost 3" high. And sure enough - I lined up a nice stabilize high neck-shot (per land-owner request) on a deer that we later clocked at 100 yards. The bullet skimmed right over it.
So just be aware not all of the 5.56 behavior necessarily translates to a Grendel that isn't a light 100 gr bullet out of a 20" BBL. It can have a bit more arc to it at the shorter ranges than one might be used to with 5.56 ballistics.
I once got burned using a ~200 yard zero with Grendel in a slow configuration system and load. With a 36 yard zero, just be aware of the similar. In my case, it meant my 100 yard zero was almost 3" high. And sure enough - I lined up a nice stabilize high neck-shot (per land-owner request) on a deer that we later clocked at 100 yards. The bullet skimmed right over it.
So just be aware not all of the 5.56 behavior necessarily translates to a Grendel that isn't a light 100 gr bullet out of a 20" BBL. It can have a bit more arc to it at the shorter ranges than one might be used to with 5.56 ballistics.

