07-11-2020, 10:19 PM
FRB6.5 Wrote:An interesting post on arfcom related to this discussion:That is interesting. Thanks. One thing about the quote in there. The guy was only talking about containing sound waves. Didn't say anything about the initial shock wave (assuming the blast is super-sonic), which is moving a bit faster than the emanating sounds. But I guess it's all part of the same problem. No way to direct any of that with any kind of precision.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Did-...5-2347477/
I was participating in another forum's thread about this topic. I tried to show them a little science, like the above article, about how a blast/explosion first creates shock wave, and behind that comes the various sound waves. And how sound from a gun moves pretty much in all directions. And since it reflects of solid things, if the barrel has something like a standard brake on the end, some of that shock and sound reflects back, increasing what's heard behind and to the sides of the muzzle. I don't think those guys were too interested in the physics of it though. I guess it disagreed with what they'd heard about linear comps on Youtube gun channels.
So anyway, I was saying there that I think some people must believe that a linear comp works like a megaphone, projecting the sound forward. But I don't think that a short, small diameter tube with straight walls behaves like a megaphone. The device would need to be conical in shape, or horn shaped, in order to reflect sound forward. There are some audio people on that board as well. I am hoping they might weigh in with their thoughts.

