Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
123 gr. Hornady SST with IMR 4895
#6
I tried just one load of IMR 4895 when I was trying to get the Hornady 123 SST to shoot in a BCA 20" barrel. I have two rifles the other is an 18" Oden Works barrel. Neither one really liked this bullet no matter what I tried. I only had five 123 SST bullets left. I used the max load data that Nosler listed for their 123/125 gr bullet that said it was the most accurate load. I have been hand loading over 40 years so this max load was not foolishly used. I know that the burn rate of IMR 4895 is quite a bit slower than IMR 8208 and if a case full of it was OK then IMR 4895 would be. The first round fired was out of a clean bore and like normal was high out of the group a fouled barrel would shoot. The next 4 went into a .831 outside to outside group. Shooting was 100 yards. I don't know if this was a fluke or not because I did not repeat it because I did not have or want any more 123 SSTs because I found great accuracy with 120 Sierra Pro Hunter and Speer Gold Dots with IMR8208.
The load that I used was with Hornady case, CCI450, 28.0 Grs IMR 4895, 123 SST, COAL 2.250 velocity was 2416 fps with ES 19 SD 8 and showed no signs of pressure. Your mileage may vary.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
123 gr. Hornady SST with IMR 4895 - by Ronson2 - 07-02-2020, 03:05 PM
123 gr. Hornady SST with IMR 4895 - by A5BLASTER - 07-02-2020, 03:24 PM
123 gr. Hornady SST with IMR 4895 - by FW Conch - 07-02-2020, 03:26 PM
123 gr. Hornady SST with IMR 4895 - by Ronson2 - 07-02-2020, 04:01 PM
123 gr. Hornady SST with IMR 4895 - by Wafavre2 - 07-02-2020, 04:07 PM
123 gr. Hornady SST with IMR 4895 - by 1Shot - 07-02-2020, 10:05 PM
123 gr. Hornady SST with IMR 4895 - by Klem - 07-03-2020, 01:02 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)