06-26-2020, 03:05 AM
centerfire Wrote:I was talking about vertical dispersion between the fastest and slowest measured velocities in a sample, not the drop of the average group velocity. The difference in drop between the fastest and slowest measured velocity is the minimum vertical dispersion you'll see on the target at longer ranges. IE, vertical stringing...IE minimum mechanical accuracy of your ammunition at distance.
+1
I agree, the minimum vertical dispersion from velocity differences. This is something we should consider.
The cone of fire at 100yds in the recent test when extrapolated out is larger than the vertical velocity dispersion however. In reality it will likely be even greater. In this instance the target at 100 does more to reveal the likely group at 1,000 than just the velocities. In other situations and calibres however I can see a scenario where velocity differences will have more of an influence on group size at 1,000.
I am thinking it pays to do both; take the velocity and the 100yd results and see which has more of an influence on group size - then use that as a predictor.

