05-11-2020, 12:27 PM
Wheelhorse Wrote:I have a Model 7 in 260 Remington, a neat little rifle.
Should I convert it to a Grendel? What would I gain?
The only gain would be a smaller lighter cartridge with less powder capacity (cheaper to shoot) and a common cartridge chambered in the AR-15. Honestly you could down load a 260 Remington to give close to the same ballistics as 6.5 Grendel. The biggest disadvantage is a 6.5 Grendel in an action designed for a 260 is the rifle is larger than required for the cartridge. A shorter action developed for the smaller centerfire cartridges like 223 Remington are probably better suited for the 6.5 Grendel.
To me it would be like asking if you could convert a 1903 A3 30-06 Springfield bolt action to 6.5 Grendel. Yes it could be done but is it really worth doing it, it wouldnt be to me. If I had a Remington 799 with shot out barrel in 223 or 7.62x39 Id really consider converting it to 6.5 Grendel.

