Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Budget Pistol Build
#6
Been reading up on AGB's vs. ABC's today. Key points I've taken from that so far.
Running a suppressor, can make it difficult to access front facing gas adj. screws w/o removing the can. Side facing adj. screws can also be problematic. I will have a 3/4 " gap between the handgaurd (10") and suppressor into which to insert the allen wrench. With a carbine length gas system and considering the length of the AGB, I would need to insert the wrench about 2 1/4" under the handguard to adjust the gas. I suspect I now know why slant style handguards are widely available other than just those who like the athstetics of that style handguard. I don't care for the appearance myself but I'll be spending my time shooting it, not looking at it.

Bootlegs ABC, although pricey, is around the same cost as most mid price BCG's. My understanding is it can be adjusted through the ejection port w/o removing the BCG. If I did have to remove it, not sure that is more a pain than removing a hot can and reinstalling or not. Seems like a wash at best. An adjustable gas key from RCA installed on an existing carrier at around $35 seems a reasonable alternative, particularly if it can be adjusted through the ejection port. I do not know w/o a little more research.

AGB's are more finely tunable for various loads and running both suppressed and unsuppressed, at least compared to the 4 settings on the Bootleg. I think I read the RCA adjustable key uses an adjustment screw and a second locking screw on top of the adjustment screw, which leads me to think it's more finely tunable than the 4 position Bootleg setup.

I'm new to running suppressed or using gas adjustable systems other than the adjustable gas block on a FAL. Thus, trying to figure this out.

I'm only 2 months in on awaiting my first can, a Silencerco Omega, for a 300 BO. That can will be sharing time between three 30 cal rifles and several 5.56 rifles until such time I purchase a dedicated 5.56 can. What I've learned from running the BO, both sub and supersonic, is I don't need an adjustable gas system with a JP silent capture spring setup. Running suppressed may be a different story, but I can still step down 2 spring weights from where I am now successfully cycling sub and supersonic loads. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Meantime, this pistol build is the second 6.5G build of 3 I've started. My hunting deer/elk hunting setup was completed a short time ago. The pistol will be a more versatile truck/range/hog hunting type setup. The third is going to be more a precision range rifle. I'm buying the Thunderbeast to split time between the three and I have too many rifles to be a one can pony.

As you can tell, I could be making the adjustable gas block vs. gas carrier decision on a host of other rifles as my cans arrive over the next 8-18 months. I am focused on this 6.5G pistol build for now. Hoping you guys that have run both the AGB and AGC would point me in the right direction for this build. I'm probably way over thinking this to save a few bucks but appreciate your comments.

Thanks for the offer FLShooter. I think I'll respectfully pass on the PSA.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Budget Pistol Build - by Wethepeople - 04-27-2020, 03:53 AM
Budget Pistol Build - by VASCAR2 - 04-27-2020, 04:25 PM
Budget Pistol Build - by Wethepeople - 04-27-2020, 04:34 PM
Budget Pistol Build - by A5BLASTER - 04-27-2020, 08:45 PM
Budget Pistol Build - by FLshooter - 04-28-2020, 12:16 AM
Budget Pistol Build - by Wethepeople - 04-28-2020, 03:28 AM
Budget Pistol Build - by Klem - 04-28-2020, 05:17 AM
Budget Pistol Build - by Wethepeople - 04-28-2020, 01:51 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)