Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
85gr or 95gr Maker TREX? Any advice on starting load.
#1
I have finally settled on a brand of projectile to begin developing my very first hunting load, (first reload ever actually). Now I'm stuck trying to figure out what weight I should settle on, only a 10gr difference between the two but thought maybe someone with some experience with both could chime in and give me some advice. I'll will loading this for a 18" PSA Grendel Upper, my main target will be both pigs and deer (hoping to get my first deer this year). I have searched both extensively in this forum and found some really good info, but still would like to hear some more opinions and experiences.

Since there is no Maker load data I was going to use Hodgdon's reloading data and the "Grendel Reloading Handbook" data for similar weighted projectiles. Here is where I was going to start:

Both will be using Hornady once fired brass.

85gr TREX
H335 - 29.0
Fed205
COAL - 2.240

95gr TREX
H335 - 29.0 (rickOshay start load instead if Hodgdon 28.0gr)
Fed205
COAL - 2.230

Work up 0.3gr increments. I do not have a chrono, so I will be watching for excessive pressure signs as I work my way up to max load. These two starting loads are based on 95gr v-max and 85gr sierra HP Var, which have different length than the TREX. Should the COAL reflect that, or is this a good jumping off point?

Any and all advice/critiques/opinions are welcome.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
85gr or 95gr Maker TREX? Any advice on starting load. - by Ronincjn - 03-31-2020, 01:56 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)