Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
A Low Pressure Cartridge ?
#11
Klem Wrote:Eiger,

I'd be careful of ADI's powder chart where 8208 is concerned. They list 29.8 as the max load for a 107SMK but according to Quickload that is 106% of the available case volume. Around 27.5 - 28gn is where the case gets filled to 100% when using 8208 and 58mm OAL.

I use 8208 for bullets up to 120 and 2206H for 120 and above.

Some GREAT replies on this thread sir!

On 8208, that one is interesting. According to Hodgdon's annual load manual (and ADI apparently), you can run 29.8 gr of compressed 8208 under a 107 SMK for 2667 FPS @ 49,300 psi, out of a 24" BBL using the heavy Lapua brass.

In my own experience, I'm running 29.4 gr (so .4 gr below book-max), and am getting some compression. I'd say powder is coming well up into the shoulder. It's clocking 2709 fps out of a 20" with Hornady brass. And I'm .4 gr below book max! (in a world where book max tends to be conservative). Shoots like a dream and gun and brass all seem fine; but yea - I will agree; be careful out there, no way am I going to take that up to the full book value of 29.8 gr.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
A Low Pressure Cartridge ? - by EigerWand - 03-19-2020, 09:23 AM
A Low Pressure Cartridge ? - by Klem - 03-19-2020, 11:30 AM
A Low Pressure Cartridge ? - by grayfox - 03-19-2020, 12:15 PM
A Low Pressure Cartridge ? - by grayfox - 03-19-2020, 12:20 PM
A Low Pressure Cartridge ? - by 1Shot - 03-19-2020, 04:01 PM
A Low Pressure Cartridge ? - by Jakal - 03-19-2020, 09:23 PM
A Low Pressure Cartridge ? - by Klem - 03-20-2020, 01:30 AM
A Low Pressure Cartridge ? - by EigerWand - 03-20-2020, 08:54 AM
A Low Pressure Cartridge ? - by Klem - 03-20-2020, 10:57 AM
A Low Pressure Cartridge ? - by 1Shot - 03-20-2020, 02:12 PM
A Low Pressure Cartridge ? - by lazyengineer - 03-20-2020, 03:50 PM
A Low Pressure Cartridge ? - by Klem - 03-20-2020, 10:51 PM
A Low Pressure Cartridge ? - by jhoyda - 03-21-2020, 12:01 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)